Friday, February 10, 2012

The Plight of the Working Mom

I’ve been really lucky in that ever since Alyssa started school, I’ve been able to be at every school party, event, function, blah blah blah.

I’ve even planned a few of these parties, enlisting the help of other available moms along the way.

The girls’ Valentine’s Day parties were today.

I planned Olivia’s party, again with the help of other preschool moms.

But I didn’t get to go to either party because of a work commitment that came up after I’d committed to participating in/planning these parties.

And so I did what any busy work-outside-the-home mom does. I asked my husband and my mother for help.

I planned Olivia’s party, calling other moms (I’d say I called other parents except they were all moms so…I’m not discriminating against dads here, just calling it like it is) and asked one of them to bring drinks, asked another to plan a craft/activity, asked another to bring a snack. I planned a craft too, one that involved cutting because Olivia hates cutting (except when she’s cutting her own hair. I know! We’ve moved beyond pulling and settled into cutting, nice.)

I bought treats and Alyssa and I put them into cute little bags with hearts all over them.

And then, one day when my mom and Tom were with me in the same room, I cornered them and asked them if one of them would attend Olivia’s party and man the craft table and the other would go to Alyssa’s party and hand out treat bags.

They agreed, I got up early this morning to come to work an hour early due to that unforeseen commitment I couldn’t get out of and they attended the parties and everyone is happy.

Well, except me. I really kind of wanted to go to those parties. It’s a perk of being the momma, don’t you think? But again, in the grand scheme of things, missing one party out of years’ worth of parties isn’t that big a deal. There will be more and I’ll get to go.

I called my mom and asked how the party went. I’m happy to report that three dads were at the preschool party. Go dads of preschoolers!!

And dads of third graders who step in when mom has to work. My husband really is one of the good guys.

1 comment:

Patti said...

how refreshing to read a blog post about a husband being a good guy:) it seems like wherever you turn today, the dads are the dunces!
love your header, your girls are so sweet!