Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Romance

Tom and I aren’t the most romantic couple on the block. We just aren’t. And that's okay with us.

Last week I asked him, “Yeah, so we’re not going to actually do anything or buy each other anything for Valentine’s day, right?”

He sort of snorted and just shook his head. We agreed years ago that we wouldn’t waste money on greeting cards because, duh, you just throw them away after reading them. Who wants to have a giant stack of old cards? Not us.

Watching The Middle last week, when Frankie and Mike agreed to celebrate the big heart day with a bucket of chicken, sweats and television in separate rooms Tom and I made eye contact over the heads of two little girls and smiled. Yes, that described our perfect V-day celebration.

Another way we celebrate our love for each other is to greet one and other with a nod and a, “S’up.” Which we learned from Sheldon and Leonard on Big Bang Theory.

Gosh, we watch too much television, don’t we? But it’s fun! And that who s’up thing? It cracks me up every time. And the fact that Tom goes along with it? The most romantic thing EVER as far as I’m concerned.

Last night, we were watching The Voice together after the girls we asleep. What? I’ve already admitted that I realize we watch too much T.V. Give me a break.

Back to The Voice. It was a lovely hour and a half (he slept through the first half hour.) We laughed, we shared jokes at the expense of the contestants and the judges (damn, Cee Lo is creepy! And yet hysterical.) Again, it wasn’t traditionally romantic, but it was us, being together and I loved it.

So color me surprised this morning when I was greeted by flowers at the door as the girls and I were heading out of the bathroom after our baths/shower.

Sometimes my guy really does surprise me and yes, even someone like me, jaded and cynical (ha!) can be moved by a vase of red roses.

Happy Valentine’s day all!

No comments: