Monday, August 8, 2011

Bite Me

Alyssa's two front teeth are finally coming in. I say finally because, well, it's been forever since she lost them.

We had to have the right one pulled back in March of 2010 due to an abcess. She hurt it when she was three while at daycare and it was slowly just disappearing.

The right front tooth was pulled out while she was in a bounce house at the Indiana University Dance Marathon back in November of 2010. Those two front teeth finally started coming in about a month ago.

They're so cute. Except...they are beginnin to look like my two front teeth.

Aww, right?

No. Not awww.

I hate my teeth. I've always hated my teeth. I hated them so much that when I was 27 years old I paid for my own braces in an effor to change them. Yes, now they're straighter but still, I hate them. I hate their shape, I hate the fact that even after braces they're still just slightly crooked.

I don't want that for her.

Yes, she's way prettier than I am or ever was and so maybe she'll be able to pull these teeth off better than I ever could. And yes, we WILL be getting braces for her in her late pre-teens or early teens in the hopes of staving off major crookedness, but...if I could change this for her, I would.

She got so much from Tom in the genetic draw. Why couldn't she have gotten his teeth too?

I know this is such a stupid, minor thing to worry about. And I'm not really worried so much. Obviously, I can't change the shape of her teeth so what am I even going on about, right?

I guess I just wanted to log my apology to her for passing these teeth on. I do think she's going to be able to make them beautiful. With her witty humor, her sense of style and her charm, she's going to be just fine, even if she did inherit her mother's teeth.

2 comments:

Page said...

Aww. I love her mother's smile. :) Don't be so hard on yourself, there are a lot of people who happen to think you're beautiful and would be even without any teeth at all- myself included.

And at least the teeth can be fixed (if they really do need to be). My oldest daughter inherited my arms... and since I'm not wealthy, I can't afford to give her the cosmetic surgery I think should come standard with my family's genes.

I guess there's always something to feel guilty about...

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

You know I think there are more people who are not pleased with their teeth then people who love their teeth. Seriously I am with you on this one, I can't stand my teeth!!! And I love Gian's but Gian can't stand his teeth. And our teeth are huge and cricked and we worry about what will happen to our children too. Seriously Gian's teeth are/were too big for his mouth they had to remove 4 just to make room and then still remove his impacted wisdom teeth. He even had a tooth removed from the roof of his mouth... you know the pallet of the mouth. I sincerely worry!!!

I bet A will be darling with those teeth, she will be gorgeous no matter what! But I know that feeling of not wanting to pass something down especially if you knew it caused you discomfort.