Sunday, August 21, 2011

Girls Night Out

Yesterday afternoon, my mom called and invited me to go see the movie The Help with her and her sisters.

I'd been in town with the girls for hours, finishing up last minute school supply shopping (the wipes, why so many wipes?) and we were just about tired of each other.

I said that I'd love to go and got the details of when and where.

When the girls and I got home, I informed Tom of the plans for the evening. Me going to a movie and him and the girls staying home.

This has happened, oh, twice in the last eight years. I don't count my one weekend away each October when I go to a conference held by the March of Dimes where I get to meet the amazing women of Share Your Story, laugh until I cry and sleep in a bed ALONE for two whole nights in a row.

He seemed okay with the plan. I asked him later if he minded the plans for the night. He responded, "I don't really have a choice, do I?"

Of course I took it wrong and well, decided that no, he hadn't had a choice.

But after a little discussion, he made it clear that he really didn't mind and it was all good.

And it was good. The movie was so good, funny in parts and so, so sad in others. The perfect movie for a bunch of women.

There were five of us who went. My mom and three of her sisters and me. I felt so blessed to be included in their evening out. These are amazing women, strong, kind. The perfect people to see a movie like The Help with. This movie made me want to be a better person, a better mother. As always, I still have a lot of work to do.

I didn't get home until almost 2am. It was a late movie and we had to drive about forty-five minutes to get to the theater.

Tom was asleep in the recliner with Olivia sprawled out on top of him, Alyssa was on the couch.

As much as I enjoyed being out and seing a movie some of the most amazing women I know, I was so happy to get home to my family.

Maybe we'll do something like this again next year.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I loved that movie! It was really good, now I want to read the book!