Monday, August 15, 2011

Supplying School

It's that time of year again. Yes, it's time to buy school clothes, shoes and supplies.

Olivia is all about the shoes, by the way. She could not possibly care less about disinfecting wipes and Kleenex but shoes? We're going shoe shopping? Wait while she grabs her lip gloss!

After three hours, walked away from the store with two pairs of shoes for each girl, one particularly impractical pair of black dress shoes that once on her feet, were not coming off of Olivia's lovely tootsies. She wores those shoes to the next three stores and couldn't be bothered to try another pair, declaring before any others were even close to her feet, "Those hurt my toes." Or, "These fit perfectly, I don't need other shoes."

She found every mirror in the five-mile radius and pranced, tapped and bowed to her imaginary audience.

But my goodness it's expensive to outfit two little girls for school. What those of you with more kids do, I just don't know.

The supplies! Good heavens! We had to get Alyssa five pocket folders (thankfully, only twenty cents a piece), three spiral pads of paper with 70 sheets. She wanted the ones that were $1.67 each. I wanted to get her the ones that were $.15 each. Guess who won?

Yes, she did. I'm such a sucker.

Then you have the Kleenex, the Clorox wips, the multiplication and division flash cards, the wooden ruler (yay, on a dime!) And in the end, it adds up. We have more pencils than we can ever use so that was scratched from the list before we even got to the store. But the rest? Yikes!!

In other news, we still don't know which class (am or pm) that Olivia will be in this year. The school is saying it will all come down to transportation. But come on! They've known the bus routes since, well, forever. School starts NEXT WEEK!!

And for anyone keeping track (just me? Okay, then.), week two weigh-in put me at exactly 10 pounds lost. So far, August is being good to me, if I don't think about the money I'm spending on school supplies, clothes and shoes.

2 comments:

Julie said...

We had "school supply shopping - round2" yesterday. This was for the extras that didn't make the initial list, especially art supplies.

Congrats on the loss!

Just another mom said...

Uggg...I've been exactly in your shoes. I swear after shopping for all 3 of my kiddos I am BROKE!! The shoes alone put me in the poor house! But Hailey got a very fancy pair of tennies with light up toes and she has pranced around in them for the last few days!