Monday, October 15, 2012

Back to School

Alyssa’s recovery seems complete. Well, as long as we can keep her from flipping herself into a relapse. She feels so much better than she did say, last Thursday, that she thinks she’s all better. Except, she’s not really.

But hey, her homework was complete as of last night at 7:45. She was just in time to join me to watch Once Upon a Time. Yay for frivolous television viewing.

As she finished each worksheet, Alyssa would bring it to me to check her work. I love that the respects me enough to want me to check it and that she’s studious enough to want to be sure it’s correct. I did have to have her look at a few questions, reminding her to read carefully and think about what’s being asked.

She’s such a lovely girl. I know I’ve said that before but the older she gets, the more I realize how lucky I am to have this girl in my life. At nine and three quarters, she’s cuddly, funny, prone to silliness and very irritable when it comes to her little sister.

She was ready to go back to school. Eight days out (that’s just including actual school days) was more than enough for her. She announced this morning that her backpack weighed a ton. It was pretty darned heavy, that’s for sure. Tom carried it out to wait with her for the bus so she wouldn’t have to carry it any longer than necessary.

She’s on the mend, is what I’m saying. Our girl is back. Her breath is no longer rancid, her voice is coming back to normal. When she sleeps these past few nights, her breathing is no longer labored or anything close to snoring.

I think my guilt over choosing to have the surgery is abating now that she’s coming back to us, better than ever.

No comments: