Friday, October 12, 2012

Updates

I am assuming that no news is good news. As in, I haven’t heard back from Olivia’s teacher since that first, sort of sad, sort of celebratory email. And I’m thinking that no more messages mean she’s turned herself around and stopped doing the damned hokey pokey while everyone else is tracing their A and a over and over again.

And Alyssa…she’s slowly, so very, very slowly coming around. Her breathing last night as she slept was so much better than it has been in the past week. So there’s that. She’s eating a little more each day, which is good too since she looks like she’s lost about 10 pounds, which, when you’re 4’11” and only 80 pounds is a lot of freaking weight to lose in a week and a half.

But she is going to school on Monday, so girlfriend has three days (really only two now) to get her verve back.

I’m heading down to Orlando next week for a conference with some amazing mothers I’ve met over the years through the March of Dimes. This will be the fourth time I’ve attended this conference. I leave on Thursday morning and get home very, very late on Sunday night. Tom’s planning to have the girls ‘camp out’ downstairs all weekend. I know they’ll have fun but in an effort to avoid the stress that comes with them knowing I’m leaving…they don’t yet know that I’m leaving.

I might leave them a note on Thursday morning when I leave at 5am to catch a 7:30 flight out of Toledo. I’m kidding. Sort of. See, they get anxious over the idea of me being gone for even a few hours, let alone for several nights. They’re always fine and they always have fun but they’re also always very happy when I get home.

So I’ll continue to wait to spring the news on them. I’ll probably tell them on Wednesday evening, even though it will lead to an inability to sleep for Alyssa as she worries about me being gone. I’ll just keep reminding her that she’ll be fine. She’ll have her dad and her gram and all will be well. And I’ll be home before she knows it.

Really.

No comments: