Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Trip Prep

I started packing last weekend. I try to be a light packer, planning to wear the clothes I travel in on Thursday to travel back on Sunday. It saves spaces and will hopefully let me avoid checking any bags.

I also made sure I got plenty of staples while at the grocery store last weekend. One such trip several years ago left Tom in a tizzy because they ran out of soup. Yes, I was quick to remind him that the store, which at the time was six miles away, did let fathers and daughters who were without the wife/mother figure for a few days to enter and actually purchase such things a Campbell’s Chicken and Stars soup.

He wasn’t amused. He felt I’d let him and the girls down by not stocking up before I left on my three days trip.

Today? There are five cans of Campbell’s Chicken and Stars soup in the pantry. So yes, prepared.

I also got ramen noodles for Alyssa and made a gigantic batch of goulash for Tom and Olivia to eat all weekend long. This afternoon before heading home, I’ll go get a gallon of whole milk, a gallon of skim milk and a cake for the three of them to devour while I’m away.

I’m also going to pack two lunches for Alyssa tomorrow morning before I leave for the airport at 4:45. This means Tom won’t be stressed to try and pack on for her on Friday morning. The Friday lunch will just sit in the fridge overnight and be ready for her Friday morning.

And tonight, I’ll be breaking the news to the girls that I’m leaving tomorrow morning for the weekend, to return last Sunday night. There might be tears. They might be mine. Okay, they won’t come from me. But I know Alyssa will be stressed tonight just trying to sleep. Poor kid. I should probably leave home for the night more often so this wouldn’t be such an event.

No comments: