Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Smell of Healing

Olivia got tubes put in her ears when she was eight months old. She'd had pretty much chronic ear infections to that point.

About a month after the tubes were placed, she got another ear infection.

This time, though, was a bit different. The difference was the smell. The tubes were allowing the infection to drain and so each time I put my baby on my shoulder I could smell the infection in her ears.

It was awful. It was also proof that the tubes were a good thing. The infection wasn't pooling in her ears and festering.

But it was still gross.

A return to the ENT brought us the wonder that is antibiotic eardrops and ear infections pretty much disappeared for the next couple of years.

After Alyssa's surgery on Wednesday, the nurse warned us that her breath might be pretty bad over the next few days. She explained that this bad breath is just proof that the wounds are scabbing over and healing.

So yes, again, the bad smell is a good thing.

But it's still gross.

Even after brushing her teach, the poor child has horrible, horrible breath. We still hug her and she stll lays on me pretty much all evening but I admit that I try to avert my face from the direction of her breathing in an effort to avoid the smell.

The smell of healing is a nasty, icky smell. I do so hope the healing happens fast so the smell can go away.

2 comments:

Konopik Family said...

Took about a week for it to go when my son had his removed.....

Anonymous said...

Sophie had bad breath for about a week after her adenoid and sinus surgery too.