Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Cutting Edge of Nine

Alyssa has been nine for over two months now.

I told her last weekend, in all seriousness, that nine is now my very favorite age.

She’s seriously awesome. She’s finally at an age where she can make her own breakfast (pouring cereal and milk without supervision, wheee!) She can shower without help. She can pick out her clothes and don them without me needing to make sure they’re weather appropriate.

And yet, she still needs me in other ways. She still needs to sit on my lap most evenings before bed, just to ‘check in.’ She needs me to go with her to check on Orville if it is dark in the kitchen and everyone else is asleep.

She needs me to tuck her in and kiss her goodnight.

I love these things about her. I love her.

Last night, she decided she wanted her hair cut. She didn’t want any sort of ‘do. She just wanted about ten inches cut off the length.

We were at my mom’s house, where there were a pair of decent hair-cutting scissors and so we went to down.

She loves it. Her hair is all one length and falls probably an inch or so below her shoulders. I could tell she felt ten pounds lighter. She kept swinging her hair around, rubbing the new, clean-cut ends.

I love that she is old enough to make this decision, to know what she wants and go for it.

Nine is so much fun. I’m so glad we get another ten months of this before we hit the double digits!

No comments: