Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Step Back into Strep

I hate strep. I do.

Alyssa has it. Again. This is the second bout of strep throat in a month. That means another round of antibiotics, another day of school missed, another office co-pay, etc.

She came home from school yesterday complaining of a sore throat. Since she’d had strep all of three weeks ago, we didn’t mess around. Off to Urgent Care at 6:30pm.

The doctor there was glad to hear that we already have an appointment scheduled for her to see our regular doctor on Friday. We’re going to discuss her adenoids and the possibility that they might be the cause of her snoring. And perhaps the reason she keeps getting freaking strep throat.

We’ll see.

But damn, I hate it when my kids are sick.

And yet, as I wrote that last sentence, I realize how very lucky that strep is the worst of our health issues. Yes, strep is a problem and I’m glad we caught it early and I hope we can nip it in the bud and keep it at bay from this point forward but I have some good friends with children with serious health issues.

So I guess this is me acknowledging that it could be so much worse but taking the opportunity to admit that even in our blessed, lucky world, things can still sort of suck.

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.

No comments: