Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Exercising My Rights

I hate exercise. I do. But I know that I need it. I also know that in order to truly take care of myself, I need to kick my own butt and start moving.

So…how do I make time to do this?

How do I declare to my family that I have a right to make time to exercise?

I realize that I’ll actually be setting a better example for my girls by doing this. They need to know that it is okay to put their own health needs before the wants of others in the household.

Here’s the thing…I don’t feel guilty for making time to shower every day. I don’t feel guilty for finding time to eat and I do my best to get as much sleep as I can.

So why isn’t exercise as important as the above list?

Could it be because I HATE exercise? It could. But it shouldn’t be the deciding case. It shouldn’t matter that I hate it. I make my kids take medicines that they hate when they’re sick because I know it’s good for them.

I know that exercise is good for me. It will help me be healthier and so, I need to suck it up, stop being a brat, stop making excuses about being too busy and not having time to exercise. I need to put myself first, even when my own inclination is to sit on my butt and relax.

My inner brat needs to be put in time out and I need to grow up and realize that in the end, a happy healthy mom makes for a happy, healthy house.

I’m going to try. That’s all I can promise.

No comments: