Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Time for Everything

Alyssa likes to linger over her breakfast as if she’s eating a great delicacy rather than a piece of whole wheat toast with some Country Crock spread upon it.

She also likes to spend a little time with Orville first thing in the morning and lay in front of the space heater while I shower.

Olivia enjoys watching the first twenty minutes or so of Barbie’s Princess Charm School while she eats her blueberry Eggo each morning.

Yesterday, I could almost watch Tom’s hair graying as he tried to get each girl to stay on task, whether that task was eating breakfast, brushing hair/teeth, finding shoes, etc.

I get that he knows what time it is and can calculate how long each task will take.

I also know how my girls work.

So this morning, I scheduled in some dawdle time.

I got both girls up about fifteen minutes earlier than I did yesterday. This gave them some cushion time so they could take slower bites, or brush a little longer, or watch a few more minutes of Princess Charm School.

It makes the morning so much more pleasant for all of us.

Tom is more relaxed because he knows things are going to get done in time for the bus to arrive and the girls are happier because their daddy isn’t nagging them every ten seconds to take a bite or swallow their food, or put on their shoes.

Mornings with kids are hard but we’re learning every single day.

And to be honest, I need a little dawdle time myself. I need to be able to read a couple of pages from my current Amanda Quick novel as I brush my teeth. I need to linger with the hair straightener over a few strands of hair that are threatening to frizz no matter how much Citra Shine laminating serum I put on them.

Dawdle time…it might just be the best idea I’ve had in a long time.

No comments: