Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm Doing Something Wrong

I have an aunt and several cousins who have never held down a job. Sure, they've worked for a couple of weeks here and there, but never once have they worked 40 hours a week for any extended period of time.

My nephew's mother takes no responsibility for her son whatsoever. She 'babysits' her own son once a week, if that. Sometimes she'll call him and say that she hasn't had two days off in a row in a while and so needs to not care for her son because she just needs to either sleep or shop or party.

On Saturday the girls and I were invited to go to a friends house to play for a couple of hours. The mom of the girls' friends said to call after 10:00 Saturday morning because they weren't likely to be out of bed before then.

I can't imagine. I'm lucky if my girls let me stay in bed until 8:00. But each family is different and I embrace that.

I called at 11:30 and left them a message.

I called again at 1:30, saying that I assumed something came up and that we'd catch up with them some other time.

Then I started getting the girls ready to go to the pool.

When the mom finally called at about 1:45, it was obvious she hadn't heard the messages I'd left.

Her husband had decided that she was in need of extra rest and so had let her sleep. Until 1:00!

I am obviously doing something wrong.
When I got off the phone I asked Tom why he never lets me sleep until 1:00. He shrugged and said, "Because you aren't crazy."

And...okay, so I'm not. I'm fairly sane and actually pretty even keeled, even though Tom would tell you differently if he had a forum such as this in which to air his opinions/grievances.

But he doesn't (that I know of...) and so HA!

Anyway!!! I will admit to being a bit jealous of the aunts/cousins/friends/acquaintances who either shirk (and not all of the women referenced do this, please note that!!) their responsibilities or are lucky enough to have partners who are willing to pick up the slack more often than mine does.

Though let me say right here that I don't know all that goes on in any of the lives of these women. Quite honestly, I wouldn't trade with them. I'm incredibly blessed to have good physical and mental health, I know this and I cherish it for what it's worth.

And admittedly, Tom would have a really, really hard time keeping the girls away from the bedroom to let me sleep that long. He'd have to tie them up or take them away from the house to get it to happen. I'm the primary parent in our household. It's just the way it is.

Honestly, I'm glad for it. I like being the one who can soothe hurt feelings with a hug or bumped noggins with a kiss. I like being the one who snuggles them at night, though I'm to the point where I need the to snuggle for ten minutes and GO TO SLEEP already. It's past time for that.

I'm grateful for glimpses into how others live and for my own life, even when I'm wading in a pool of envy as I drive to work each day, leaving my girls at home knowing that there are other moms who get to stay home with their kids every single day. The last week was such a lovely glimpse into what it would be like to be home with them. I think we could find lots of ways to have fun given enough time.

No comments: