Friday, July 1, 2011

Projects

I have so many things I want to get done around our house. While the downstairs is painted and actually company-ready most of the time (unless Alyssa's been in the horse bin and dragged out every single toy horse she owns, which is A LOT) but the closets, the basement (Tom's domain) and the upstairs all need some work.

Other than the master bathroom, I haven't painted a single room upstairs. The master bedroom is a dirty white, with scuff marks and nail holes in the walls. It needs to be painted and those pretty, pretty curtains need to be hung. The closet in the master bedroom also needs to be decluttered and painted.

The room in which the girls' clothes hang (I can't bring myself to call it their bedroom as they have yet to actually sleep in there) needs a new coat of paint to cover the mint green that is currently in there. And because I've been inspired by the hot pink closet that Statia over at Failure to Nap (her link has been added to my sidebar too) painted I have decided to let the girls pick out a brilliant, bright color that I'd never paint an entire room and paint their closets.

Alyssa's already decided on the most oceany blue she can find.

Olivia said, "Umm, probably red."

And once we get those closets painted and organized the rest of the room will be painted. Not sure what color yet, but if Tom has his way, it'll be white. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to give him his way this time. Poor guy. He's so often outnumbered.

Then there's the guest room, which is currently hot pink on two walls and orange on the other two walls. The previous occupant HAD to have been a preteen girl, right? That entire rooms needs a major overhaul. It needs a new light fixture hung, the ceiling has a stain where the roof once leaked. It might have to be the last room of the house to get done. We'll see.

The 'toy room', which Tom HATES just because we have so many toys that they actually need a room of their own, is lavender. It needs to be painted too. This room will probably get a coat of Tom's favorite white. It's small, with two closets and a south facing window, white is good. Maybe we'll paint the closets in there fun colors too.

I'm on a roll.

So there's lots to do and I often feel like I'm never going to get it done.

But...I'm turning that around and calling it a blessing. How lucky am I that I have a home I can work on as time allows? How lucky am I that I can afford a few gallons of paint and the time/effort it will take to make our house a home?

Today I am thankful for the blessing of homeownership, the fact that I was so very lucky to be able to buy this house and that we are all together, under one roof every single night.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

I too have lots of projects that I need to get done, but there is something to be said about being grateful for what we do have and living in the moment. Great perspective!

Page said...

Awesome! And how fun for you! (not the actual painting part. blech.) But the choosing colors and planning and so on.

My husband also is a big 'white wall' fan. Ugh. I don't mind it here and there, but... puh-leeez.

I also want to boost your self-esteem a little bit by telling you how wonderful I think it is that you've gotten as much accomplished in your new house as you have so far. See, in just a few months, we will have lived in this house for 3 YEARS, and I've not been able to paint anything but the older kid's rooms. NOT ONE THING. I HATE the colors in this house... grrr.

Oh, by the way. The pink and orange? Yeah. Preteen/early teen. Uh huh. My older girls are in a bright orange room while the boy is in a vibrant royal blue. They chose the colors, and to be honest, it drives me a little nuts... *sigh* :p

Good luck with the rest of your projects and keep smiling!

Tiffany said...

Isn't there a saying about homeownership and never being "done"? I think so!!! It's so true.

Anonymous said...

And once you accomplish these there will be another list to tackle. It's like Tiffany says you'r never done.