Thursday, July 28, 2011

Panic

This past week, my step-sister's daughters (my nieces?) have been staying with my mom and step-dad. It's the only week this entire summer when they (the nieces) didn't have something going on.

Alyssa's been in cousin heaven. She and JB, the older of the two nieces, are only three months apart in age. They've adored each other ever since they were old enough to know the other existed, say, since they were two.

They've frolicked in the pool, put on rodeos for anyone they could rope into being the audience, watched my step-dad kill a raccoon that was caught as it tried to ravage the corn (egads! What a life lesson that was.)

Yeah, it's been great fun.

And with JB and her little sister JZ spending the nights at my mom's Alyssa's wanted to be there too.

However, since Jaxon, the nephew, was there too, we took JB home with us on Monday and she enjoyed a relaxing night in our house.

The next night, though, Alyssa wanted them to all be at Gram's house. I made sure my mom was okay with this and away they went.

Olivia, on the other hand, declared without even thinking about it, "I'm going home with you, Mommy."

Of course you are, Sweets. You're still a BAAAAYYYBEEEEE.

The next night, though...Olivia decided she was staying at Gram's too.

Huh...okay. Except, I really didn't think that was going to work all that well. I hesitated at the door, asking her repeatedly if she was sure she wanted to stay.

She kept nodding and waving, giving me a look that asked, "Why are you still here?"

I told my mom, "Call me if she decides she wants to come home."

Since we're only three miles away, it'd be no big deal to go back and get her.

So I left.

Even as I backed my car toward my mom's garage so I could pull out of the driveway, I though, "I should check one more time."

But I didn't. I drove away.

I made it to the driveway near our barn when Tom stopped me, signalling for me to pull in. I did and rolled down my window.

He said, "Your mom just called. Olivia's having a panic attack since you ACTUALLY left. You need to go get her."

I laughed, turned my car around and headed back.

When I pulled into the driveway, my mom and Olivia were waiting outside. When O saw my car, she lost her composure, collapsing into sobs.

I picked her up and held her close, telling her I was sorry I'd left.

My mom even had tears in her eyes. She's a sympathetic cryer. She told me that Olivia managed to hold back the tears until she saw me.

I told my baby that we'll try again next year when Gram has all the kids again.

She was very ready to go home after that. She didn't let me get out of touching distance for the rest of the evening.

Yes, she's definitely still my baby.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, you know that you were thinking "YES, I get the bed to myself!!! Wait, maybe I should turn around...nah, then I won't get the bed to myself..."

Should Not Operate Heavy Machinery said...

It's so nice to be loved!

Tiffany said...

That's so sweet...and reminds me of my Olivia!!!