Sunday, July 31, 2011

Attitude Schmattitude

Okay, I confess that it worked.

July was a very good month. Yes, I took a few vacation days, put off chores in favor of swimming and enjoyed more time with my family.

But I really believe that my delibrate choice to look at the bright side, to find things for which to be grateful helped make this month better than the preceding. When I choose to be happy, I actually am happy.

Amazing how that works.

Sure, there are some things you can't just decide to ignore, or put off. But the little things, the small irritants can be overlooked in favor of the bigger blessings. And yes, there were moments (co-workers, anyone?) that were annoying enough that I had to come here and bitch but mostly...I faked it until I made it. It feels good to say goodbye to July with a smile, with good memories and less stress.

So, since July was mostly successful I'm starting tomorrow with a new goal, a new sense of adventure.

July was my month for concentrating on my emotional health. It was a good endeavor. It showed me that I can mostly control my own moods.

August is my month for concentrating on my physical health.

I'm starting a healthy eating plan (I hate to call it a diet because that's just such a depressing word) and I'm going to make a concentrated effort to move more, get outside and exercise, take in the fresh air, move my body, make peace with it as it is even as I try to change it to make it healthier.

I want to be good to myself, not through peppermint patties and a good gossip magazine but through celery and walking. I want to show my daughters that I can love myself enough to be healthy, to be conscious of what I'm doing to my body.

So here we go again, on to another month, another goal, this one ongoing. But I'm not thinking about longterm yet. Instead I'm thinking about tomorrow, each day a new day to do better, be better. No big, lofty goals of losing 60 pounds by a certain date. No, that's too much to take on. Instead, each meal will be it's own challenge, each snack a chance to make a good, healthy choice.

I'm looking forward to what August will bring.

2 comments:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

That is really awesome! That should make you feel wonderful inside, and that you can do anything! Seriously that stuff isn't easy!!!

Hello August!!! It is going to be a good month, I can tell already!! hahah

Page said...

Amen! And I'll join you again this month if you don't mind. I had fun last month and I owe a good deal of that to you. Thank you!

Love, hugs, and best wishes on this new adventure!