Saturday, July 23, 2011

Rolling

Back in January, we had Alyssa's 8th birthday party at a roller skating rink. It was a huge success. Of course, I have to confess that we got the idea from Julie, who had her daughter's party at a skating rink the year before.

Today, we headed back to the Skatin' Station (not the actual name of the place) for another birthday party. This was for one of A's friends from kindergarten.

Alyssa's been skating, ohh, four times in her life. She loves it. She's a natural.

At Alyssa's birthday party, Olivia watched the action, she played on the sidelines, walked with Tom along the wall that separates the skating floor from the tables and resting areas.

She had no interest in skating at that time.

I assumed to day would be the same. We headed out this morning prepared to watch Alyssa skate for three hours, eat some cake and pizza and have a little fun.

About an hour into the party, Olivia was wistfully watching her sister as she glided around the floor.

I asked her, "Do you want to try it?"

I expected her to shake her head and head back to the air hockey table where a violent competition was taking place.

She surprised me.

She nodded and said, "Yes, get me some skates."

I figured we'd spend about three minutes putting the skates on, twenty seconds on the floor and three minutes taking the skates off. But I had to let her try.

The first pair of skates were too small.

The second pair were just right and to the floor we went.

After ten minutes of holding my hands as we went slowly, painfully around the rink, Olivia pushed my hands away and said, "I can do it myself."

I was amazed. I led her to the center of the floor and let go of her hands.

She skated. It was more graceful than I'd have expected. She fell fewer times than the older, bigger kids there. A few times, she even threw herself to the floor laughing, saying, "I'm okay."

My baby, my child who, had she been diagnosed at birth would have been told she would never walk, roller skated today. She did it by herself and announced, "I'm good at this!"

This independent streak is insane! Where is she getting this confidence, this sense that she can do anything she wants? Hasn't she read the research? Didn't she get the memo that said she isn't supposed to talk, walk, laugh, love life?

I guess not. And wow, am I glad she missed out on all that because she's sure as heck not missing out on life.

(Note to Charity: Olivia is missing a small part of chromosome 5, the part between 13 and 15. I know that's not very clear but I don't remember exactly what her geneticist told me, just those numbers.)

No comments: