Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sir Thomas

Today is Tom's birthday. He's a hard person to figure out sometimes. I don't know if he wants me to make a big deal out of his birthday or just let it be another day.

He's impossible to buy presents for. I hate trying to second guess him and on birthdays/Christmas, he's not good at giving hints. Father's Day? He'll come out and tell me what he wants. But these other days? He says he thinks presents are silly.

I think he's weird.

But I'm also so very glad he was born and so want to celebrate this day in some way.

I've been known to complain bitterly about my poor husband. But in truth, he's a good guy. He really is.

He's got a great sense of humor. He makes me and the girls laugh all the time. He's very much a people person and when we're out in public, he's great at putting people at ease with his humor.

He's a wonder daddy to our little girls. From the start he's been hands on, never turning away from changing a diaper, wet or worse. He can be both soft and stern whichever is needed by the situation.

I love him for that.

He takes excellent care of us in all the ways that count. He keeps air in the tires of my car and in Alyssa's bike tires. He mows the lawn with almost obsessive regularity. He's always right there with me checking Alyssa's homework and when Olivia was little and in home therapies, he was the one at home greeting the speech and physical therapists each week.

He makes life fun.

Today, I'm thankful for the man I get to call my husband. Here's to making his birthday a great one.

2 comments:

Page said...

Aww... Happy Birthday, Tom! What a sweet post.

Btw, my husband's birthday - a week from today. Just sayin... ;)

Brittany said...

I think it is a great gift just to acknowledge all the great things about the ones you love. Sometimes that is the best present! He sounds like a great husband and father, hope you all had a fun celebration.