Friday, July 8, 2011

Just One of the Kids

Olivia has had a busy week filled with lots of activity and late nights.

Of course, we all have but it's been a little harder on her.

Her busyness started on Monday, the Fourth. We went to the parade where she stood for the entire thing, watching the cars, the police cars, the fire trucks, the band. She loved it. I think this was the first year she actually got what was happening. I took the stroller in case she got tired on the walk to and from the car but she was a trooper and walked the entire three blocks herself.

That evening we headed to my aunt's house for food and fireworks.

I always pack pajamas for O because every year before, she'll fallen asleep before the fireworks start.

Not this year. This year, she ran up and down the steep slope that is my aunt's backyard. Twice, she walked with Tom and Alyssa to the school park that is directly behing my aunt's house. She ran with all the other kids wearing glow sticks and just being kids.

She didn't eat enough because she was too busy playing and what she did eat wasn't all that good for her. Just like her sister and every other kid there.

And this year? She stayed awake for the fireworks. Go O!! She was in awe. She loved the colors, the booms. She loved being one of the kids.

Of course, she fell asleep in her carseat before we were even out of traffic on our way home.

Unfortunately the next morning we had to get up fairly early to go to the DMV and so she didn't sleep nearly as long as she might have and that led to a late afternoon nap which lasted until 7:30. And that meant another late night, which has started a vicious circle.

I informed her this morning that she's not allowed anymore late naps because it means she's awake until 10 or later and that's just mean.

I'm so grateful that my girl can be one of the kids, running, rolling down hills, wearing a glow stick as a crown, eating just the frosting off cupcakes, playing on the playground. I'm grateful that I know how amazing it is that she's doing these things. Heck, I'm even grateful for a screwed up sleep schedule just because it means she's having the best summer yet!

2 comments:

Page said...

Awesome. I love that O is just one of the kids and I love that you can appreciate how wonderful that is. There are so many parents out there that don't get that unique perspective. That's always a part of being a mom of a kid with a "diagnosis" that I do appreciate. Though I would know that my kids are amazing, I would never know just HOW amazing if all my kids had been born full term and healthy and "normal".

Julie said...

What a great post!! Hopefully she went to sleep at an appropriate time.